Saturday, April 12, 2008

Trust A Director To Ruin A Great Verdi Opera For Us All

In a disgusting new production of Un Ballo in Maschera at an opera house in Erfurt, naked pensioners walk in front of a back drop of, of all horrible things, the ruins of the World Trade Center. They are also wearing plastic Mickey Mouse masks.... but that's it!
"The naked stand for people without means, the victims of capitalism, the underclass, who don't have anything anymore." said the director, Johann Kresnik.
Did I happen to mention that there is an obvious Hitler reference where a woman is sporting a moustache and giving the Nazi salute. Ridiculous.

I find this atrocious. Who would put up with this? I'm shocked that singers didn't refuse to be a part of this.

"One has to introduce new elements," the director said. "Otherwise it is difficult to attract new theatregoers."
If this is what it has come to, I don't want any part in it. If this is what audiences want (which according to responses on opera-l and other places it's not) then I have been sorely mistaken with my assumption of opera goers' taste.

Again I will stress... DON'T DITCH ZEFFERELLI.


Happy Listening!! =)
(Because that's the only thing to keep you from throwing up)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, CaroNome, it's an absurd production. Unfortunately, absurd productions are not rare in European opera houses, but this one goes out of its way to be childishly offensive. I wrote about this at www.artsandammo.com, and I think more of us need to speak out. The victims of 9/11 deserve better, and so does Verdi.

Nice blog, by the way.