Thursday, May 29, 2008

Birthday Week!

Guess whose been lazy this week? Me!!!!!!! Finals coming up (not fun) so I decided to just do all of this week's birthdays in one post.

5/26- Theresa Stratas. Such an amazing artist. Two of my favorite operas on video have her in them: La Traviata with Placido Domingo and La Boheme, of course, with Jose Carreras. She's such a fantastic actress, too. Just look at those videos! Proof of her extraordinary talents!
5/27- Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Besides being one of the best lieder singers ever, DFD is one of my favorite Conte Almavivas ever! His voice is so smooth and creamy and just delicious!
5/29- Erich Korngold. Some of the most beautiful arias I have ever heard. Marietta's Lied from Die Tote Stadt has become sort of an anthem for me. I always turn to it, happy or sad, angry or caring I always love listening to it. It either makes me cry or makes me smile until my cheeks hurt. Let's not forget two of his other GLORIOUS ARIAS that I simply CAN'T GET OVER. I love this composer.
5/30- George London. Enough said. So amazing.
5/31- Shirley Verrett. I love this woman. She is amazing.



And now I'm off to watch Tristan und Isolde on PBS.

Happy Birthday to our birthday singers!


Happy Listening!! =)

1 comment:

Natus said...

If you think those movies were good, you should see Stratas in Strauss's Salome. It will absolutely blow your mind.