Saturday, May 24, 2008

3 New Desert Island CD's.

If you asked me "If you were stranded on a desert island and you could only choose a few CDs to bring with you, what would they be?" I would take a ridiculously long time to figure it out. Two that would immediately come to mind are the Solti Le Nozze di Figaro and one Renee Fleming disc (not sure which one...) I'd want to take all of mine of course, but only a few... Hmm...

Recently I was told that I needed to branch out more, listen to different things. Here I am thinking I've got a pretty diverse "repertoire." From Russian opera to German opera to Italian opera and some other obscure languages in between. Apparently I was mistaken. While the comment was intended to push me in a more contemporary direction, I took it in the exact opposite direction. (I'm a firm believer in going back before going forward.) In an attempt to push my boundaries into the past, I purchased Patricia Petibon's "French Baroque Arias" and Diana Damrau's "Arie di Bravura." I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't rush to the songs I knew, but listen to the entire disc.














What a revelation! I'm listening nonstop to these two fabulous artists in arias that I have never heard before, but now can't live without! Consider these added to my Desert Island Collection.
Diana Damrau's stunning voice flowed through these arias with ease and precision. Having only heard two songs from this CD (both Queen of the Night arias) I was a little nervous about my pact. I put on the CD and at the first song I was hooked! Diana Damrau is fabulous!
I first discovered Patricia Petibon from Sarah Noble's "Tubular Belles" and I am sooooooo thankful for it. Not only is this glorious soprano out of her mind, she sings like an angel and has introduced me to wonderful new (well...old) baroque arias! Her Doll Song from Hoffmann that is on youtube had me falling out of my seat. Let's just say, you've never seen a doll break down like this before. Some people find it vulgar, or something, but I think it's wonderful!


Another disc that I recently acquired is Rolando Villazon's "Cielo e Mar". I feel like I'm branching out with this disc also, although it's still in my "comfort zone" which is more in the Romantic style.
Having obviously heard "Cielo e Mar" before, but nothing else on the disc I made the same pact that I had with the above CD's. I had avoided Villazon's recordings before because (I'm going to be brutally honest) most were with Anna Netrebko and I do not like how her voice sounds IN RECORDINGS. (keys words there) I bought this after hearing from various sources how wonderful it was and I'm happy I took their advice. Rolando Villazon is truly one of the great voices of our generation. Two of my favorite arias from this CD (besides "Cielo e mar") are the Mercadente aria from Il Giuramento and the aria from Adriana Lecouvreur, but I love them all!
Another addition to my Desert Island Collection!



I advice a speedy purchase of these three wonderful albums. You won't regret it, I promise!



Happy Listening!!! =)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My two favourite things about Patricia's French baroque CD - the way she rasps "haisse" in Armide's "Enfin il est en ma puissance" - brings tears to my eyes every single time. And that final aria where she spends fourteen minutes parodying every single fashion in baroque opera to perfection.
I love Diana's CD too. And Rolando's is on my wishlist.