Saturday, March 15, 2008

Ugh, Wagner Makes Me Sick...

Well, not me, but it seems to make every one else sick. First, Ben Heppner catches a virus and can't sing Tristan. Then, the audience gets sick of the cover Tristan and he gets booed. Finally, Deborah Voigt falls ill during her performance of Isolde. In fact, it was right in the middle of the love duet. Yikes.
According to the AP Voigt had not been feeling well at the beginning of the day, but didn't want to "disturb" the management and she wanted "to be very supportive of Mr. Lehman," the cover for Tristan. (Wait, I'm confused as to where Mr. MacMaster went...) So, during the love duet Ms. Voigt suddenly ran off the stage, leaving her Tristan confused and shocked. Mr. Levine kept the orchestra going, but the curtain soon closed. After a few minutes an announcement was made that Deborah Voigt was ill. The cover Janice Baird came to a heroic rescue! Both singers received enthusiastic applause at the end of the act.


I just hope everyone gets well soon. It's terrible to have both lead singers sick at once.


Happy Listening!!! =)

1 comment:

Danica said...

HI just stopped by your blog for the first time. Even though I no nothing about opera(yes I know I can hear your gasp since it is obviously really important to you)YOur blog makes me want to learn more. I have to figure out who everybody is.(tough)I notice you said opera-singing-ballerina do you take ballet? I do! thats why I am curious.Come and visit me even though I practically just started my blog...it consists of 8 posts! It is crazybluedaisies.blogspot.com . Love your blog and will check in tomorrow hopefully if I have time! :)