Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ah tutti contenti!!

Le Nozze di Figaro
~Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

November 24th, 2007

Figaro- Bryn Terfel
Susanna- Ekaterina Siurina
Conte Almaviva- Simon Keenlyside
Contessa Almaviva- Anja Harteros
Cherubino- Kate Lindsey
Marcellina- Marie McLaughlin
Don Bartolo- Maurizio Muraro
Don Basilio- Greg Fedderly



Usually in reviews you say "but the performer that impressed me the most" or "the performer that really stole the show," but in the performance of Le Nozze di Figaro you just didn't have that. It's not a bad thing at all, in fact it's a fabulous thing! The entire cast worked so well together and they were all so wonderful that it blended together perfectly.
Bryn Terfel as Figaro is about as perfect as it gets. It's said that these are his last Figaros before he moves to the Count, so I'm very glad I caught them! He's the best Figaro around, in my opinion, and I'm sure he'll be a great Count. Speaking of Counts... Simon Keenlyside was amazing. His voice is so beautiful and his interpretation was very interesting. He played the Count not just as a vain, good looking jerk, but also as a complete idiot! He made the Count seem like a big oaf who in the process of trying to kick Figaro's behind, tripped and fell on his face. Yes, it was intentional! This, in turn, I think made the Countess look stupid. She's trying to win back a vain loser! It makes such a dignified part look like a different person. It's funny how such a small change in personality can change the mood of the entire opera! Anja Harteros as the Countess was a great choice. Her voice is gorgeous and HUGE. She drowned out all the women in the final scene. Her two arias sounded amazing and I really hope the Met has her signed up for more in future seasons!! (hint hint, Peter Gelb!!) Ekaterina Siurina was our beautiful Susanna. Not only is she a lovely girl with an amazing voice, but she really embodied her role.
Another amazing singer was Kate Lindsey, who I first saw as Siebel in Faust at the Met in the Parks this summer. I was so impressed with her and I've been looking for her all season. I'm ecstatic that she ended up in this Figaro!! She's so cute, but she didn't appear girly at all in this trouser role, she played the hormonal adolescent very well. Marie McLaughlin, Maurizio Muraro, and Greg Fedderly were hysterical in their respective parts. These three roles are obviously the funniest in the show and the singers really brought it out.
Philippe Jordan was a perfect conductor. After all the times I've heard that darned overture I thought it would never sound fresh and new, but I was proved wrong. I noticed things, little things, that I didn't know were there before. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the beauty of the conductor and the beauty of the opera!!! You learn something new about every role and every note each time you hear a new interpretation.

Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to attach myself to the perfectly perfect Solti Figaro for the next 24 hours. =)

Happy Listening!! =)

No comments: