Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Renee Fleming and other opera related ramblings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyct83t-CZU

This is old news, but I'm going to bring up the subject of Ms. Fleming's La Traviata for old times sake. With the endless videos on youtube, I was surprised to find only two clips of her in Traviata. Sort of depressing, I'd like to see more (I'm sad to announce that I don't own a DVD of Renee Fleming in La Traviata, if one such DVD exists. If one does, some one please tell me!!!) of Ms. Fleming and her Violettas.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (and probably get killed for it), but I'm actually going to say that I enjoyed her Sempre Libera more than Angela Gheorghiu's. *ducks* ... Am I dead yet?
My reasons for not liking Ms. Gheorgiu's as much as Ms. Fleming's:
1) Ms. Fleming does not SCREAM her high notes. She sings them.
2) Ms. Fleming actually attempted to land that high Eb (correct?) and nailed it
3) Ms. Fleming did not just walk around from one side of the stage to the other... she acted
Don't get me wrong! I like Angela Gheorghiu very much! But sometimes she does get to me!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9CzZjIK6iA (Ms. Gheorghiu's Sempre Libera)

Other random ramblings by Ms. CaroNome...
I'm sad and happy to announce that only recently discovered the wonders of the wonderful baritone Louis Quilico!!!!! Sad because it took so long, and happy that I found him at all! This brilliant man's "Eri tu" (Un Ballo in Maschera) is like no other in the world! (Speaking of "Eri tu" any one who has never listened to this gorgeous piece of masterful art SHOULD! It's the aria of all baritone arias. Simply glorious!) When he sings "Traditor! che compensi in tal guisa" I want to fall on the floor and sob with joy and sadness. You can not help but feel sorry for Renato. So sad, so sad. But I would sit through 4 hours of Charlotte Church (o lord in heaven!!!) just to hear Louis Quilico sing that phrase ONCE. Or maybe the whole aria....with 4 hours of Charlotte Church *gag* I'm hoping it's the entire aria!

No comments: