Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Met's Summer Plans (plus: Pictures from London!)

The Metropolitan Opera now has two options for summer opera fun! One is the Summer Recital Series and the other is a Summer HD Festival.


The Summer Recital Series will feature singers such as Paulo Szot (YES), Lisette Oropesa, Alek Shrader (who I noticed specifically during a commercial for The Audition, I would keep my eye on this kid), John Moore, Ashley Emerson, Joyce El-Khoury, and Keith Miller in parks in every borough of New York City. The singers will be accompanied by pianist Vlad Iftinca and the host for four of the six evenings will be Damon Gupton.
The Recital Series looks, if nothing else, to be a good opportunity to scope out what appears to be the future of the Met.
The Summer HD Festival, held in Lincoln Center Plaza, is a ten day extravaganza brimming with all of the best HD broadcasts! From August 29th to September 2nd the Met will show productions from its 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons, namely Il Barbiere di Siviglia, Madama Butterfly, Eugene Onegin, Il Trittico, and Romeo et Juliette. Of course, if you don't like any of those four, there are six more to choose from!!! You must get to the Met early, since there are only 2,800 seats available, totally for free. Expect to see me with my ScoreDesk binder at most, if not all!!!

Just a quick aside: I went to London over spring break and, while I did not have many operatic adventures, I did pass through the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden (naturally my favorite section of London) and I took some pictures I thought you all would enjoy.





I hope to be returning to the ROH soon to experience some amazing opera! =)
Happy Listening!!! =) =)
PS. Gotterdamerung AND Il Trovatore this Saturday. Get excited!!! =)

No comments: