Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Beverly Sills (May 25, 1929 – July 2, 2007)

Beverly Sills died yesterday at approximately 9pm. The cause was an aggressive form of lung cancer, although she never smoked. Ms. Sills was an extraordinary coloratura soprano and gave 110% of everything she had into every role she ever played. I'm very sorry I never got the chance to see her perform live or see her at all. I feel like I know her through her recordings and everything I have heard about her. She is and will always remain one of my favorite sopranos of all time. She was a great advocate for the arts even after she retired from the stage. Ms. Sills was first the general director of the New York City Opera, then was a Chairwoman of Lincoln Center, and finally was a Chairwoman on the Metropolitan Opera Board of Directors. On top of all this she had two disabled children, Meredith (Muffy) and Peter (Bucky).



I sincerely hope that Bubbles's last moments were peaceful and that she is in a better place. We love you, Bubbles!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoXHfNGtccc


Beverly "Bubbles" Sills

1929-2007

No comments: