Friday, March 2, 2007

NYC Opera's new season!

Just as exciting as the Met's new season is its next-door neighboor New York City Opera's 2007-2008 season!!

New Productions:

Margaret Garner- with a cast full of debuts!!
Cavalleria/Pagliacci double bill- with Carl Tanner in Pagliacci and Brandon Jovanovich in Cavalleria
Cendrillon- with Joyce Castle as Mme. de la Haltiere and Cassandre Berthon as Cinderella
Vanessa- with Lauren Flanigan and Rosalind Elias as The Old Baroness
King Arthur- with director/choreographer Mark Morris
Ragtime- as the musical theater production of the season

Repertoire:

Agrippina- starring Ruth Ann Swenson and Heidi Stober
La Boheme- with Inna Dukach and Dinyar Vania
Don Giovanni- with Aaron St. Clair Nicholson as the devious Don Giovanni and Julianna Di Giacomo as Donna Anna in Harold Prince's production
Carmen- starring Beth Clayton as Carmen and Scott Piper as Don Jose
Madama Butterfly- with Shu-Ying Li as Cio-Cio-San and James Valenti as Pinkerton
Falstaff- with Jan Opalach as Sir John Falstaff and Pamela Armstrong as Alice Ford
Tosca- starring Anna Shafajinskaia as Floria Tosca and Todd Thomas and Baron Scarpia

I'm hoping to make my own audience-member debut at the City Opera this season!!! There are four (count 'em, four!) operas that I wish the Met was doing that City Opera is doing! Falstaff, Carmen, Tosca, and Don Giovanni. I've been waiting to see all except Tosca live for a long time, because I've already seen Tosca. Next season, however, the Met is not doing Tosca so I thought maybe I'll stroll across the plaza to see how the City Opera singers are doing. "Yo!! NYCO! Sup, my peeps????" I was praying every night that Don Giovanni would be one of the operas they do at Lincoln Center. I was thinking the Metropolitan Opera, but I guess my prayers were answered! Thank you, NYC Opera! =)=) I just want to hear "Madamina, il catalogo e questo", "vedrai carino", and "La ci darem la mano" live, on stage, with real opera singers. And voila!! City Opera does it again!!!!!!!!

No comments: