Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Met 40th Anniversary Gala- Villazon and Netrebko

A live commentary of the Gala straight from the web-radio to this blog!!! My first ever play-by-play opinions...

La Boheme Act I
The beginning of Boheme always gives me chills, especially with a good tenor. Puccini was a genius! This is my first encounter with Mr. Villazon. I'm pleasantly surprised!!!! He is truly lovely!! The Marcello of Mariusz Kwiecien is great as well. Is that Paul Plishka singing Benoit?? He sounds the same as when I saw him this season! Ha ha!
My goodness, I never realized how much Anna Netrebko sounded like Angela Gheorghiu! I'll get butchered and murdered for this, but in the first few minutes, I do think they sound similar! Don't get me wrong, Anna is unique in her own way, but something is very similar about the two of them...
Does Mimi really believe Rodolfo when he says he hasn't found the key? He's totally lying, it's completely obvious! How do you fall for that?
Che Gelida Manina notes: Lovely start, Rolando! I'm impressed!!!! uh oh, something happened on that "che faccio." but I won't be picky, Villazon's Rodolfo is a dream! I'm in a small-cold-hand sort of trance! What a beautiful rendition of such a perfect aria!! Applause start: 7:30:25 Applause Ends: 7:30:55
Si, Mi Chiamano Mimi notes: What pure voice Anna Netrebko has. "solletta." she sang it so cute-ly! What a flirt this Mimi is! Glorious, lovely, beautiful! What a gorgeous Mimi! (gosh, I'm running out of adjectives)Applause Start: 7:36:01 Applause Ends: 7:36:24
O Soave Fanciulla notes: First, I love this duet to death! Rolando Villazon starts it miraculously! Enter Anna Netrebko; lovely! That's a tough entrance, so high! How beautiful...*sigh*
Boheme overall ending:
Applause Starts: 7:40:00
Applause Ends: 7:41:52

My Boheme overall reaction: WOAH! =O
(PS. I was right, Benoit was Paul Plishka)


Manon Act III Scene II
I'm not very familiar with this opera, but I'm following along with a libretto and a translated libretto

I'm going to need to get a recording of this. It's only the first few bars and I believe I'm in shock.
Samuel Ramey as Count des Grieux, wow. What a treat! What French!
Props for the French diction! Villazon and Ramey sounded fine during both dialogue and singing. I know how tough it is, I take French, and it's not easy!
I'm repeatedly losing my place in the libretto to listen to Villazon sing. That says something right there. =] bravo
Oh, goodness. Rolando Villazon might be coming down with something. This might be the third time he's had trouble/cracked a note! I'm so depressed.
Applause for Rolando's first aria: Start: 7:58:00 End: 7:58:20 (conductor wanted to move on)
Props for Anna with her French! They all speak/sing it so wonderfully.
What expression! What passion in their singing! It must be breathtaking when they're live together! (I mean in the actual house, of course. lol)
"Regarde-moi! Regarde-moi!" Oh, quanta soffra! haha! How poor Manon suffers. Anna puts so much feeling into it, isn't she exhausted by now?
What a glorious ending! I feel the tears coming on! *sniffle*
Manon end applause:
Start: 8:09:18
End: 8:10:03

My Manon overall reaction: Oh my gosh, I need to get a recording/DVD of this opera! This is unbelievable! Crazy! Lovely! I love it! Ha ha!

Intermission Features: A recording from the opening of the new Met Opera House. Interviews with Rudolf Bing, Leontyne Price, and Justino Diaz.
Very exciting other interviews, and live from the house as well! =)


L'Esilir d'Amore Act II
Libretto and synopsis in hand...here we go...


I also need a recording of this opera, too! Amazing, I never even heard these two operas before! What I have been missing, it's rather depressing =(
Everyone's singing is splendid. But the real bravo goes to Donizetti himself for the joyous melodies.
Both lead singers are incredible actors. I can hear their acting from over the Internet!!!! haha
The "non ti può mancar l'amor" from one of Belcore's little parts is such a beautiful phrase. There are always these little phrases in all operas that just get to me. This (and "Una Furtiva Lagrima") must be that small phrase!
I do lie... Almost all of these phrases are beautiful! I'm overwhelmed with great artistry and great opera! Between Manon and L'Esilir, I'm going to have a very large Amazon.com bill!!!Nemorino and Belcore Applause: Start: 9:03:27 End: 9:03:40
The Met Chorus women have a little bit of an "old lady sound." It pains me to say it, it really does. Surely there are some young singers who want to be a part of such a lovely chorus? =)
Villazon is certainly shining in this act. Shimmering, shining, whatever you want to say, he's kicking butt!! I'm just waiting for the big aria =]
Alessandro Corbelli as Dulcamara is wonderful! He sounds like he could sing Figaro in Barber easily. I'd like to hear more from this guy!!!
Applause for Anna and Corbelli: Starts: 9:23:04 Ends: 9:23:23
Una Furtiva Lagrima notes: (I'm a firm believer that you have to be able to sing this aria well to be considered a "great" tenor.) una furtiva lagrima...na nuh NA. haha. What a gloriously gorgeous piece of singing I am hearing right this very moment from Rolando Villazon. This applause better last a long time, because he's singing this like a master tenor! "si può, si può morir!" oy! too beautiful to handle Applause: Starts: 9:28:24 Ends: 9:28:59 (with many "bravos")
I really need to confess that even though I didn't like Anna Netrebko at first, for a long time, she has really raised herself up, first with I Puritani and now with this Gala. I'm really happy to hear her now. She's working her way up into my favorites ;) and this Gala is proving why. ]
(Laughter from the audience?? How I wish I was there! How can we know what they're laughing at? It was obviously physical humor =[ how sad for us!)
High notes from Anna Netrebko!!! What a lovely top!! =] Applause for Anna: Start: 9:37:44 End: 9:38:25
I really like this Dulcamara!!! I must investigate... hmm...

My OVERALL Reaction: Oh my gosh, I wish I was there!!!!!

Final Applause (bows):
Starts: 9:41:16
Ends: 9:48:54

There's confetti, apparently, for Rolando and Anna. Many screams and bravo/a's. Sam Ramey gets a large ovation, Paul Plishka too, Alessandro Corbelli gets a large ovation as well, the Marcello from Boheme gets a very large ovation. Rolando and Anna, of course, get the best and biggest ovation. Lots of screaming and lots of bravo/a's. People are still clapping as Margaret Juntwait is signing off, so the end of the applause is probably not accurate.

In case you were all wondering... yes... I was sitting here with a digital clock recording how many seconds the people clapped. Not only was I bored out of my mind and could do nothing else but listen to beautiful music and document times, but I was actually very curious. People consider different things to be a "long" ovation, so I wanted to see if my ears and my clock were accurate. =]

I'm sorry this was so long, I don't expect everyone to read all of it. It was just fun to write =] Thanks, y'all!

No comments: